Sunday, October 21, 2012

Pulling out the engine

IMG_2441

I undid the grounds and the fuel lines. At noon Mary-Jane and Ronald showed up to give us a hand. I tied Voila to the Bayfield 32 cradle beside us. We were worried that the weight of the engine may tip over the boat.

IMG_2443

The engine is a long way down. I arranged the mainsheet to pull the engine straight up.It would not come straight up until we removed a small bulkhead. Easy to do as if the builder had anticipated.IMG_2446

The engine is in the cockpit. We put the cockpit floor back in to rest the engine on. Then we coaxed the engine aft. We swung the engine between the winch and the windshield. We then lowered it to the ground to rest on some blocks.

IMG_2449IMG_2451

We discovered that the starboard motor mount had come away as the bolt was broken, Also we discovered that the front motor mounts “sway bar was” cracked. Felicity noticed that the engine sounded a bit nosier.

What a mess of wires and hoses!

IMG_2453

Today I started to clean the engine room. I removed the exhaust system and some more plumbing. All the old insulation was removed. I saved them for patterns. I would like to paint the engine room

No comments: