Monday, October 29, 2012

Dropping in the new engine

Felicity does not like when I say “drop” the engine.

IMG_2461

The bright red engine arrives and is forklifted into the container. Very convenient. 

IMG_2463

Here she is! Opened the box. Just like Christmas.

The engine room has been painted and the sound insulation installed. It was not hard work but tiring as I went up and down the stairs. I put plywood on the table so that I could put on the contact cement.

 IMG_2474

I bolted 2 by 3s to the shipping crate. It was easily moved form the container to the boat.

 

IMG_2479

We raised the engine off the crate to put on the engine mounts.

 

IMG_2483

The engine is placed in the cockpit on temporary bearers. We repositioned the block and tackle forward so that it would go down through the cockpit floor. Surprisingly although the engine is 4” (100mm) longer it went in easier than the Volvo came out. 

IMG_2491

The engine roughly in place. I put the old half coupling on to help align the engine. Interestingly the engine room looks bigger. Must be the paint job. 

IMG_2492

These are the front bearers. I am going to talk to Beta. This no fault of theirs as we wanted the engine before it got too cold. I had trouble imagining mounts with a 7 degree down angle.  I am going to have to order different mounts. I was not going to fuss until I had the engine in place.The wooden shims are about 1 1/2”  (40mm)  high. But I would think 2” (50mm) would be better. The would be lower on the mount.

IMG_2493

Above is the aft mount. We can block it out 1/2” (12mm) to get on the bearers but think we should have more adjustment on the mount as well. It is bottomed out.

IMG_2496

The rough alignment is almost perfect! Much to my surprise.

IMG_2497

Not bad. The holes almost line up. Although this half coupling is not the same as what we will be using.

After putting in the engine we button up Voila. Hurricane Sandy is coming and the cockpit floor is not in. We are expecting a lot of rain and wind.

IMG_2504

We will not be working on Voila for the next couple of days. Lots of rain and wind forecasted. It will give me time to order odds and ends for the engine.

1 comment:

Kristen (s/v Whisper now m/v Rhumb Line) said...

I'm just catching up after many months....congrats on selling the house! and a new Beta, nice! Winter in the cold north and then....? We're still in Philadelphia, Hans is in his 3rd year of med school then we'll move for his residency in June 2014, hopefully to somewhere warm. Freja is 19 months old now and a very busy toddler; #2 is due to arrive in March! Good luck with the engine installation!
Kristen