Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Progress!

The last week has been a blur in so many directions.As I mentioned in the last post, Alan was volunteered for the Canada Games. It was a great experience but it turned into a 4 day commitment due to shipping issues. On the last day before the actual start of the games , Alan and I were in Montreal at 6:46a.m. picking up letters for the sails. We rushed down to Little Lac Magog to begin putting them on 50-60 sails. Alan and I split up and worked with the other great volunteers and the competitors to put letters to identify each province’s entry on the sails. We were done by noon, just in time for the practice sail.

IMG_2970

How many of you have been able to claim that your car was damaged by a boat. On Monday, during and inattentive moment, I backed our van into the bow of our neighbour’s boat. The good news was that the boat was steel and showed no ill-effects. The bad news was that I shattered the back windshield and my composure. Alan did a great job of taping up the gaping hole and we drove like that for a couple of days. While Alan was away at the Games (in Pamela’s car) I managed to arrange for a service that comes to your house to replace the windshield. Pare-Brise Expert was great. He did a wonderful job cleaning the millions of pieces of glass out of the tailgate, the window is better than new and he was done in an hour for a reasonable price.

IMG_2959

During all of that activity we took a couple of hours first thing Wednesday morning to have the mast put up on the boat. We hired the same crane company and were delighted with the service, although I must admit to having a few moments of trepidation when I realized it was not the same man driving, but his son. Although he had not done many masts, he was methodical and careful and listened to Alan’s instructions. At one point we asked him to move the mast to the right and we even had to take him up on the deck to explain that the shrouds would not allow it to fall down. All done by 9am and Alan was off to the games again.

IMG_2964

Just a few shots of some of the interior stuff. This is a drainage tube that has been installed to contain all of the long poles we have on board, from awning poles, to scrub brush handles, to fishing rods and spears.

IMG_2965

New breaker to protect the charger from stray current – I think.

IMG_2966

More cupboard space – you never have enough. No pictures of Alan’s great tool storage so that will have to wait.

There are also no pictures of our newest installation – a line cutter. A very sharp disc that is installed on the propeller shaft to cut away accidental encounters with docking lines fishing nets, crab pots etc,

Our other activity this past week has been sorting out the container we have been renting for the past year. Trash, give away, return to owner or move on to the boat. This is one of the tidier days back in the fall.

.IMG_2515

Here is a picture taken yesterday.

IMG_2975

No comments: