Friday, November 09, 2012

More on the new engine decision

 

Someone asked me why I needed a new engine and why I chose the Beta 38.
 
We bought a Beta engine for our Albin Vega in 2004. It worked out very well and I was pleased with the service. I bought it through Steve Birch.
Below is an old blog of the rebuild of our Vega. We loved that boat and I maybe should not have sold it. By coincidence we sold it to one of Beta dealers dealers in St Martin. I have forgotten his name. He renamed back to Tarka. He bought her sight unseen. He had it put on a trailer, trucked it to Miami then put on a cargo ship to St Martin.


Our current Voila's engine had 6000 hours on the engine. The lubricating oil rose with use. Maybe an inch in fifty hours. I figure that the sump oil was being diluted with diesel fuel. Diesel could be smelt in the oil. Very low compression. The starboard side and transom went black with diesel fuel.  It was difficult to start with not the proper technique. This was a dance from full speed to idle after setting the cold start set.I could have rebuilt it but I considered it an orphan.  The engine did not fail us though it ran for 100 hours on two pistons in the Bahamas. It did bring us up from the Bahamas to Montreal with only one or two glitches.

Stanley of Beta Marine US installed an engine in a sister ship. I was going to buy through him but I am in Canada for the winter. He said that he used the standard mounts. . The bed in our Hallberg Rassey is stepped with the aft mount bed higher. The Volvo mounts are a Rube Goldberg, with sway bars and stacked mounts, all prone to breakage. Ours broke in three spots.
IMG_2520
 


No comments: