Friday, November 09, 2012

Building a winter structure

Today I built a structure to support a shrink wrap of our boat. Shrink wrap is a plastic that is draped over a framed boat then shrunk with heat. Not environmentally sound. The plastic is thrown in the garbage in the spring. This winter cover will allow us to work on Voila in the winter in relative comfort.

IMG_2524

IMG_2525

I built a boom crutch. From the boom crutch 2 by 3 s were laid on top of the back rail. I then put a ridge from the mast to the front pulpit. I placed over the stanchion pins one inch electric conduit from the port to starboard. The two sides were joined in the middle with a forty five degree elbow. It really stiffened up when tied to the boom and forward ridge.

The only excitement was when I almost fell overboard when one of the conduits popped of the elbow and I did not think to let go. I am pleased with the results.

Tomorrow we will take down the wind generator. I will take one set of lowers of so that there would be less holes in the cover.

No comments: