We are progressing. Kyle (Tom’s son) is fitting some planks up to the anchor hatch. The work on Voila captures a lot of sidewalk boat builders attention. Most of the time has been spent with fitting the borders. This is the trim around the hatches and cabin house. I would guess that would have taken half the projects time. In this blog posting I am going to discuss the work.
![]()
Above, Tom is fitting the border to the transom.
Tom uses the ugly bucket as a workbench. He uses this to cut boards, to route boards, to plane boards and to rasp boards. I do not know how he can work so accurately while his work is perched on this bucket. He used to have better looking bucket but fellow workers used to swap them out for beat up ones.
The teak is glued to the deck. It is held down with fender washers and screws. These screws are removed after the epoxy glue has cured. The screw holes are filled with cabosil and epoxy injected with a syringe. The deck will be watertight.
![]()
I took a close up of one of the borders. It is not exactly in place. You can see that the border follows the radius of the cabin house. This border is glued to the deck and the house. During the life of the deck as the deck gets sanded and worn down the glue line will remain true to the house, Tom has done this for every piece of wood that comes to an edge. Very time consuming.
Now we are a little frightened of what will happen when it rains. All our through decks are open. The starboard side is fine as it will just go into the bilge. The port side has many more openings. The fuel tank, the holding tank and a scupper into a hanging locker. I am going to work on that tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment