Friday, January 26, 2007

Treasure Cay

I apologize for the fact that some people are wondering where we are. The last few days have not been particularly noteworthy. From Man-o-war cay we headed north a mile or so and anchored late in the day in a little bay. We were planning to go snorkeling and exploring in the morning. Unfortunately by morning the front had arrived early and the wind had clocked around to the south, bowing 15-20kts making our anchorage unsafe so we hauled up the anchor and headed back to Marsh Harbor. We picked a good spot in the harbour with lots of swinging room (and good wifi). Alan spent another day trying to fix stove burners while I made cookies and bread, did some boat chores and visited with neighbours. I spent Wednesday morning participating in an interview from Toronto. I really like being able to make phone calls with Skype. Thursday, another strong front blew through and even created squalls and whitecaps in our protected harbour. As other boats sought protection, we ended up with more company than I was comfortable with. This included a Hunter 38 that was anchored with two anchors on rope rode that was sailing right into us on his anchor. A number of boats dragged. We decided it was time to move and took advantage of our shallow draft to tuck in beside the Marsh Harbor Marina. I think it was the most protected spot in the harbour.

This morning we decided to head for Treasure Cay. It was a bouncy reach with north winds 15-25. We have arrived at the upscale Treasure Cay Marina and Resort where we can take advantage of all the facilities- for a price.
I have a conference call tomorrow so Alan and the crew of Sunset will play tourists. They will check out one of the best beaches in the world. I hope it warms up a little. I am hoping to get to Abaco Ceramics.
As for our plans for the next little while.... As soon as there is favourable weather we will go back around Whale Passage ad head northwest again. We plan to stop at many of the deserted islands that we missed on the way down. My Abaco internet connection goes poof tomorrow afternoon and connections as we go north will be infrequent at best. Our plan is to be in Florida by Feb 15th.
I hope both Florida and Canadian weather will be warmer by then. Right now the temperature at night in our destination of Jacksonville is 30'F (-1'C) Chilly with central heating.
Keep sending email cause I ever know when I might encounter a hotspot. I find them in the strangest places. Just be patient when expecting an answer.

1 comment:

s/v Whisper said...

Hi Alan & Felicity
We've made it down to Spanish Cay...we're staying at the marina tonight (Sat.) and possibly tomorrow night, depending on what the cold front does. It looks like we'll cross paths shortly though, as you head north and we head south. Our next stop will probably be Green Turtle Cay either tomorrow or Monday. we'll be on the internet when we can and we'll try to remember to leave teh VHF on 68 as well when we're on the boat.
see you soon!
Kristen & Hans