Saturday, January 20, 2007

Man-o-War



Man o War Cay - we are in front of the Marina near the Texaco star on a mooring.

The last couple of days have been busy with the usual activities in paradise. Thursday we went back to the reef to go snorkeling again.



This picture has not been cropped - I was actually this close.

It was obvious that we were the first ones there and the fish were expecting us to feed them.



As the charged toward us, we wondered briefly what was chasing them. It was fun to have the location to ourselves but soon we were chased out by black storm clouds. Here are a couple of the pictures we took.



Later in the afternoon we headed over to Peace and Quiet, a Cal 39 to help them with their internet connection. They were discovering the joys of trying to work from the islands. I was happy drooling over the huge galley and the standing headroom. The tutorial turned into an impromptu supper and a very pleasant evening.

Friday we got ready to leave by picking up a few last minute groceries. We encountered another sailor who encouraged Alan to go to the Ministry of Agriculture. Apparently there was much confusion about the new fishing regulations. We eventually discovered that contrary to the information being distributed, that we were indeed still allowed to spear fish. The major change was that we were no longer allowed to collect conch.

By the time we returned and readied the boat to sail it was 2:00. We had a very pleasant sail over to Man-o-War Cay. The wind were about 8-12 from the north so it was a pleasant reach. We picked up a mooring for two days and Alan dinghied in to pay our $30.

Saturday dinner was pretty much a disaster as I overheated and ruined my Teflon frying pan by trying to bake biscuits. I think have given up on baking entirely. We watched a couple of episodes of St. Elsewhere for entertainment.



Do you recognize any of these young stars? It is amazing how little I miss TV, although Alan certainly misses the news.

This morning we went exploring in the town. It is a tidy community with an active boatbuilding industry.





This is one place in the Bahamas where alcohol is prohibited and modesty is expected. Our first interesting site was a small submarine, apparently used in one of the James Bond movies.



We visited the Sail Shop where they were making and selling dozens of different sizes of canvas bags in every pattern imaginable. Perhaps I will try to recreate some of them at home.






I love the varieties of plants and flowers.





I did not realize that some palm trees bear fruit near the bottom.



We supported the local population by buying a raffle ticket. If we win the TV we will donate it to the school selling the tickets and by buying a couple of pieces of chocolate cake to help a kindergarten buy playground equipment and desks.

Back on the boat I finished my latest book. It is a remarkable contrast to this island life, or any life I have known. I struggled through Shake Hands with the Devil by Romeo Dallaire. It is a chilling description of the genocide in Rwanda by the Canadian General in charge of the UN mission. While it was horrifying and I could only read it in small doses I felt compelled to finish it. I know it will stay with me for a very long time.



1 comment:

AndyT13 said...

I'm so glad to be back in the groove of following your adventures! And someday soon to be following you literally in my own vega!