Monday, September 25, 2017

Dunkerque --September 23

IMG_3999

I walked by this museum not seeing it, twice. I turned around and there are a lot of signs pointing the way. There is an assumption that you will be driving from the town. From the waterfront there is no indication.

Three hundred fifty thousand people evacuated. They were surrounded by the German troops. The French were also evacuated. They returned quickly to fight further south. Mostly to be taken prisoner.

The Germans and the British both propagandised  Dunkerque Dynamo as a success.

I enjoyed the museum however the placards printing describing the exhibits were tiny.


IMG_4000

A Peugeot that was converted to troop carrier.

IMG_4006

There are lot of guns and munitions. This is a tank gun. I do not think that it would be much use today.

IMG_4013

A series of motorcycles and sidecars.


IMG_4017

I believe this a Rolls Royce Merlin. Recovered from offshore.Note the wooden propeller. See the ubiquitous Jerry can.

 IMG_4018

I found this poppy in the wild at the side of the road.



No comments: