A note about the passages between the towns. The prevailing wind is from the west. This means that most passages are into the wind. Couple that with the tidal current and you have approximately 6 hours to get from one place to the next. The harbours we chose were the only ones that could accommodate a keelboat, the others dried out at low tide, leaving a mud flat. All of this adds up to motorboat trips where we chose our weather based on little or no wind.

This is my birthday breakfast. Yum
Dieppe was an interesting city. We saw more Canadian flags than we do at home. The appreciation for the sacrifices that the Canadian troops made in during WWII are everywhere. It is something that we as “younger” Canadians are not often aware of.

The sun shines through the maple leaf to create a point on the ground.


These are just two of the many memorials. There is also a museum dedicated to Canadian participation.
Alan. I went to the Dieppe Raid museum. I did not take any pictures. I saw a movie of the Dieppe raid. I understood all the French commentary. The Quebecois were a bit harder to understand. There is a Canadian flag from the era, the red ensign with the coat of arms. I have not seen this since 1965. There is a lot of respect and sympathy for the Canadian troops. Someone thanked me as a Canadian for our involvement, touching. Dieppe appears to be twinned with Longueuil Québec.There is a Longueuil flag.
.
I am always surprised by the amount of green space and public space in European cities. They do a better job than North Americans with much less land.

Here is a cute little car that is typical here. The vans and SUVs predominant in Canada wouldn’t fit on many of the streets here. I have great admiration for bus drivers.
Families and outdoor activities are important in France. This pool had dozens of people swimming laps in weather that had us in layers. The pool has an entrance to swim through to the inside pool.

The weekend we were there was a holiday weekend. The seafront was set up with hundreds of large sized board games Everyone was welcome to join in. Perhaps Alan could make some of these during the winter.



and for the more adventurous..


Dieppe is another coastal city with fortifications built on the highest land. They often make for fabulous views of the city and the coastline..

The next day saw us headed for a new city to explore. The weather was gorgeous and the cliffs of France were spectacular.


This is my birthday breakfast. Yum
Dieppe was an interesting city. We saw more Canadian flags than we do at home. The appreciation for the sacrifices that the Canadian troops made in during WWII are everywhere. It is something that we as “younger” Canadians are not often aware of.

The sun shines through the maple leaf to create a point on the ground.


These are just two of the many memorials. There is also a museum dedicated to Canadian participation.
Alan. I went to the Dieppe Raid museum. I did not take any pictures. I saw a movie of the Dieppe raid. I understood all the French commentary. The Quebecois were a bit harder to understand. There is a Canadian flag from the era, the red ensign with the coat of arms. I have not seen this since 1965. There is a lot of respect and sympathy for the Canadian troops. Someone thanked me as a Canadian for our involvement, touching. Dieppe appears to be twinned with Longueuil Québec.There is a Longueuil flag.
.

I am always surprised by the amount of green space and public space in European cities. They do a better job than North Americans with much less land.

Here is a cute little car that is typical here. The vans and SUVs predominant in Canada wouldn’t fit on many of the streets here. I have great admiration for bus drivers.
Families and outdoor activities are important in France. This pool had dozens of people swimming laps in weather that had us in layers. The pool has an entrance to swim through to the inside pool.

The weekend we were there was a holiday weekend. The seafront was set up with hundreds of large sized board games Everyone was welcome to join in. Perhaps Alan could make some of these during the winter.



and for the more adventurous..


Dieppe is another coastal city with fortifications built on the highest land. They often make for fabulous views of the city and the coastline..

The next day saw us headed for a new city to explore. The weather was gorgeous and the cliffs of France were spectacular.

No comments:
Post a Comment