Thursday, January 11, 2007

Leaking problem

We have a leaking problem. It is at and forward of the starboard forward lower shroud. Our v berth bedding and starboard lockers got wet. The last of couple of days were spent in fixing this problem. On first inspection there is a gap in the hull deck joint at the shrouds.

((picture of u bolt with plate above ears.))

The ears of the u bolts have passed through the deck plate allowing the deck to rise. I took out both the u bolts and threaded them up to the bend (to the ears).

((fuzzy picture of repaired U boilt))

I was pleased that I was able to buy metric dies and SS nuts. I placed them back in and was gratified to see the compound squeeze out as we tightened the nuts up.

((Picture of u bolt in place))

Today we did the crucial test for leaks. Buckets of seawater. It still leaks! , just forward of the repaired u bolts. I tightened the bolts on the stanchions and through bolt but there seems to some deformation of the joint. I will push in mastic into the joint and retighten it.

1 comment:

AndyT13 said...

Sorry bout your leak! Hope your holidays were grand. Haven't checked in on you in a bit and so glad to visit. Fair winds and good weather to you!
Andy aboard Gala
Vega 3175
www.andyt13.com