
I can see why it is easy for some people to spend the winter in Marathon. In addition to being one of the most protected harbours in the Keys, everything is within easy reach.
There must be 200+ boats here. Many are Marathon residents on their version of affordable housing. One bedroom, one bathroom condos begin about $350,000. Many of the affordable trailers and manufactured homes have been damaged by one or more of the 4 previous hurricanes.
As for us we have been enjoying the sun, meeting more new people, and catching up on our chores. On the 24th we headed off to the city marina in our dinghy.
This was a 2km row. Unfortunately, the dinghy was beginning to look a little squishier than when we started. The City Marina has a huge dinghy dock, showers, laundry, garbage disposal, recycling, water (.05 per gallon) and a parking spot for our car? We walked into town to do some shopping. We stopped at a boating store for vinyl cleaner, a patch kit for our dinghy and a light bulb. Next stop was a nice little restaurant for fish and chips.
I had flounder and Alan had dolphin (not Flipper). We then headed was Publix for bread and a few other things. They always seem to weigh a ton. I had bought a litre of UHT milk to try the whole milk version they sell here. Alan called his Mum and Dad to the ringing of the Salvation Army bells. I wonder how big a donation would have bought 20 minutes of quiet. Upon our arrival back in the marina a good Samaritan helped us pump up the dinghy for the ride home. Fortunately we were offered a tow back. Our boat neighbours, Peter and Moya took pity on us. The problem turned out to be the valve for one of the chambers. We put the old one back on and have not had a problem since.Christmas morning was a little strange with 20”C weather. We had a number of showers in the morning. We had been invited to a pot luck dinner at the Marina. The marina supplies the ham and turkey and the cruisers bring everything else.
I made Cranberry Nut Pilaf. Alan and I both thought it was good. One man had even made a decorated gingerbread house. The afternoon even included a live band and dancing. It was fun to compare notes with a few more cruisers. We discovered we had shared harbours with some of them. We were definitely the newbies in the crowd. We got several good suggestions for our last few weeks.
I do not know if you can see the Christmas tree and lights on this boat.Originally our plan had been to leave Monday, but having talked to people here we decided to stay a little longer and wait for the wind to drop, so we could go snorkeling on Tuesday. Alan rowed into the Marina and walked up to the bookstore while I tried my hand at baking again. Alan coasted up behind another neighour’s dinghy.
We really have to look into a motor. Dinner was Caesar Salad with smoked salmon and Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I made it (from scratch) on the stove top in the frying pan. A few cosmetic problems that were easily hidden with whipped cream.
No comments:
Post a Comment